Electrical Home Fires in Montgomery County
SERVPRO of Bethesda/Potomac and SERVPRO of Chevy Chase/Silver Spring want Montgomery County residents to know that by taking precautions, electrical fires may be prevented when using electricity in the home. According to ready.gov, you can help prevent electrical fires at home simply by using your home’s electrical system properly. Certain items can expose you and your family to the risk of fire, such as:
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old, or damaged appliance cords immediately.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut off, then professionally replace light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Fire Safety Tips
- Make digital copies of valuable documents and records like birth certificates.
- Install good-quality smoke detector alarms and fire extinguishers. Contact your local fire department for assistance on proper use and maintenance.
- Consider installing an automatic fire sprinkler system in your residence.
- Repair and replace loose outlets as soon as you notice them.
- Call a qualified electrician who follows the National Electrical Code to look over your home.
- Do not run cords under floor rugs, which could generate excessive heat.
- Check cords for excessive heat or exposed wires. If a device makes strange noises or operates improperly, do not wait until the cord catches on fire.
SERVPRO of Bethesda/Potomac and SERVPRO of Chevy Chase/Silver Spring experts understand your unique set of problems when faced with fire damage and can respond immediately to your call. Our certified professionals have the expertise and equipment needed to get the job done to your satisfaction as quickly as possible. Call us at 301-530-7400.