Fall Fire Safety Tips for Your Bethesda, Potomac, Chevy Chase, and Silver Spring Home
You Need SERVPRO’s Certified Technicians Against Fire Damage in Your Montgomery County Home for Best Results
Plan ahead this fall season to help ensure it is safe from potential fire hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Agency, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and injuries. You may ask yourself what is the leading cause of fires in a kitchen, and it is unattended cooking fires. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when you are using the stove.
- Stay alert and in the kitchen when you are broiling, boiling, frying, and grilling foods
- Keep any flammable items away from the fire, including wooden utensils, food packaging, hand towels, and or oven mitts
- Remember to use a timer to remind you that you are cooking food.
Fire Pit & Grilling Safety
When you are doing outdoor cooking activities, consider the following to keep it a fun but safe time for all your family members:
- Always have a fire extinguisher or water source nearby.
- Never leave the fire unattended.
- Keep all loved ones at least 3 feet away from the fire, including children and pets.
- Make sure ahead of time that the wind conditions are not severe. Wind can make it hard to light a fire and can blow the fire to surrounding structures.
What Should I Do If The Unfortunate Happens?
No matter the cause of the fire damage in your Montgomery County home, it all requires urgency. To lessen damages to your property, call SERVPRO of Bethesda/Potomac and SERVPRO of Chevy Chase/Silver Spring as quickly as possible. Before the fire department leaves, make sure to find out whether your home is structurally sound and safe for entering. If it is not safe for you to enter, call us and make arrangements for fire restoration services.
What Happens During The Restoration Process?
All fire damage events are a little different and require a different solution. However, the general process of fire restoration stays the same. SERVPRO certified technicians organize efforts as follows:
- Board up missing windows, walls, and place tarp on damaged roofs
- Remove remaining water and complete the drying process
- Remove smoke and soot from all surfaces
- Clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire
- Replace drywall, painting, and installing new carpet, or major reconstruction repairs
When a fire leaves a mark on your property and personal items, contact SERVPRO of Bethesda/Potomac and SERVPRO of Chevy Chase/Silver Spring at 301-530-7400 or 301-588-2240. Certified technicians have both the equipment and experience to make it “Like it never even happened.”