Fire Damage Prevention- What Some Experts Fail Warn You!
As a family-owned franchise, we understand the significance of keeping our family and loved ones safe. According to the NFPA, "In a five-year period, house fires caused 2,620 civilian deaths and $6.9 billion in property damage". Most fire casualties occur in the kitchen. Here at SERVPRO, we honor our commitment to being a resource to Montgomery County. We want to make sure that our community is taking preventive measures to avoid home fire casualties. Follow the tips below to avoid common kitchen accidents.
Recipe For Kitchen Safety:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking food and check on it often.
- Keep children away from the kitchen while you're cooking.
- Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up.
- Keep curtains, towels, and pot holders away from hot surfaces.
- Store solvents and flammable cleaners away from heat sources.
- Never keep gasoline in the house.
- Turn pan handles inward to prevent food spills.
- Be sure electric cords from your appliances are not dangling off the counters.
Smoke Detector tools
- Replace your smoke detector every 6 Months
- Clean off any dust on the unit as it may interfere with the sensor
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working.
- Discuss with family members a fire escape plan
- In the event of a fire or smoke damage, please call SERVPRO to help get your home or property back to normal.